Things I like
May 4, 2011 Leave a comment
I’ve been thinking a lot about things that help simplify my life and make things easier. I often download apps or try new devices to see how they can add value to my life. Most of the time they get pushed to the way side and become more of a hinderance than a help. This got me thinking about the things that I really like that seem to help me in my everyday life. Below you will find a list of the current things or apps that have my attention.
- Apple’s Macbook Air – I have had the privilege of playing with this thing for a couple of weeks now and I am absolutely in love with it (I’m typing out this post on it right now). The Air (as I’m going to call from here on out) is amazing. What really separates it out from any other laptop, Mac or PC, is the solid state hard drive. I know there are other solid state machines out there, but apple has perfected this. It comes up so fast after opening the lid. Seriously super fast. This is perfect for me, as when I need to look up something I hate waiting for a Windows machine to come back from being asleep. The other thing I like about it is that it’s so light. My job and interests reside on the web, so it’s all I really need. Maybe I can convince my bosses to let me switch completely over to it. Who knows.
- Flipboard – I’ll be honest, I just downloaded this app today, but it has already changed my world. This app runs on your iPad and aggregates all of the blogs you read into a magazine format that allows you to “flip” through the pages. It will import your google reader feeds, Facebook, twitter, as well as many other sources. Very slick and easy to use.
- TweetDeck – Multi platform twitter client. I’ve talked about this before, but I like it so much it deserves another mention. I’m running it on my PC, iPhone, iPad and now The Air. You can save your column settings so that your preferences sync across each platform. I have friends who swear by Hootsuite, but I just can’t get into it. Tweetdeck is where it’s at for me, and I’m excited about the upcoming iPad update. If you live on twitter, this is a must.
- Birds Nest Cookies – Chow Mein Noodles, peanut butter, and chocolate, what more could you want?
- YouVersion Bible App – This app has done wonders for my daily quiet time. I’m just not a big reader in general, so that doesn’t help when I need to crack open my Bible. Using the YouVersion Bible App is just natural for me. I can start it up wherever I am and block out the rest of the world to get that much-needed one on one time with my Savior. It has a tone of built-in devotionals and even allows you to post the passages you are reading directly to twitter and Facebook.